Many practitioners are unsure how to best help somebody with schizophrenia. This presentation attempts to improve the ability of providers to recognize psychosis, both in clients with schizophrenia and also in other clients.
Specific themes to be addressed include:
- Core symptoms of schizophrenia.
- Treatment goals for persons living with schizophrenia across the life span.
- Working constructively with a person who has schizophrenia (or is experiencing psychosis).
- Application of principles of positive psychiatry in helping persons with schizophrenia.
- Critical role of community in helping persons with schizophrenia to live their best lives possible.
- Importance of good medical care for patients with psychiatric illnesses, including preventive care .
Presenter: Dr. Oliver Freudenreich
Dr. Freudenreich is Co-Director of the Mass General Hospital Schizophrenia Clinical and Research Program and Director of the MGH Fellowship in Public and Community Psychiatry, in Boston.